Monday 6 November 2017

The (super uncool) Paper Iphone 8 PLUS

My original Papercraft idea was to create an everyday object and give it movement. I chose my iPhone, representing text and conversation through a moveable section. The prototype had a inside section that opened accordion style. The accordion was constructed of letters, which created a single phrase when completely expanded. During the class crit, a lot of the feedback that I received was around the prototype being too 2D. It was suggested I try to make an accordion or bellow style section that allowed the model to move while keeping a truly three-dimensional form.

My final Papercraft model turned out to be severe let down, as I ran into way too many poor construction (good job Danielle) fails. My end model has a paper bellow in the middle, which turned out to be not even close to the size of the phone. Although it ended up being more 3D that previously, the phone itself remains slightly 2D. Also the size of the phone was blown out of proportion because creating a small enough bellow proved to be impossible for my brain.

I rendered three different versions of the moveable portion, and through trial and error learned that tabs can prevent to collapsable quality that I was seeking. Along with tabs, the angle and size of the trapezoid also effected the mobility of the bellow.  There are three screenshots of some of my fails. 




I watched a youtube video after much frustration and figured out paper bellows are quite simple to make. I created a 2D sheet that didn't require tabs to create the bellow. You just scored along the edges and it folded into itself.


The phone itself was originally made to scale, but was blown up to fit the bellow properly.




I used pink cardstock for the outer section to mimic my rose gold iPhone. The frontal portion I cut paper to resemble the screen as well as the home button and speaker. On the back I added the apple logo and the camera. 



When unfolded, the inside bellow is green. I used this colour to represent the green text message blurb that comes up in iMessage. I then glued on random messages from different conversations I had, instead of cutting out letters to create one single message.


I had tried previously using regular printer paper for the moveable section, but it was so flimsy I chose cardstock instead. However, the cardstock ended up being so firm that the top section doesn't sit flat on the base.

Overall I had higher hopes for the end result, but I think with more trouble shooting I could have figured out how to create a truly 3D model with more movement then this one. That being said, a lot of the peer feedback I received truly helped me get somewhere slightly more interesting than my prototype model.




1 comment:

  1. holy cow i love the text you put in, and the final product turned out so crisp!

    ReplyDelete